Kalniškė (Gargždai) Mound stands in the north from Gargždai, on the left side of Minija. In 1998 archeologist Povilas Tebelškis performed only a minor survey which validated connection of the mound with the Garždai Castle mentioned in 1253. Ditches and ramparts cascade, steep slopes shows that formerly the mound was a mighty castle. Kalniškės Mound is one of the most attractive tourism places in Klaipėda District.
Mound is the place of the 13th century Curonian Castle. It has been arranged on a high and massive hill rising over the whole landscape. Ablinga Memorial is located on the Mound – it is witnessed the tragedy of the World War II. The ensemble of 30 oak sculptures was dedicated to Ablinga and Žvaginiai village people who were fusilladed by Nazis on 23 of June 1941.
One of the most impressive mounds of the coast stands in the west from Skomantai
village, on the right bank of Veiviržas River, near the road to Švėkšna. Skomantai Mound is the monument of archaeology and one of the best reinforced mounds in Lithuania; it is called Raguva (Raguva Hill). The Mound was settled in the first ages in the year of grace and was used up to the 13th century. It is considered, that the family of dukes Skomantai lived there. The obelisk “Samogitian” for the memorializing of the Reunion of Lithuania Minor and Lithuania Greater was built on the top part of the Mound.
On August 2016 Darius Stončius from Vilnius discovered Curonian mound at the District of Klaipėda, Seaside Regional Park, in the midst of Kukuliškių village and the Dutchman’s Cap Cliff (Olandų kepurės skardis) beloved by visitors. Judging from ceramic shatters found on the spot, archeologist Dr. Gintautas Zabiela states that there was a settlement established near the mound and the mound itself might be from the late Iron Age. According to historian, this mound, which is not mentioned in written sources, will allow reassessing Curonian history. This is the second mound discovered on the seaside by far. After performing detailed archeological research, it is planned to include the mound into the register of state-protected objects of cultural heritage and adjust it for visiting.