The Skomantai Hillfort, also named ‘Ragokalnis’, would be the most impressive hillfort in the area if it was not hidden by dense leafy vegetation. Nevertheless, even the little that still can be seen looks magnificent. The top of the hillfort, standing on the cape of the right bank of the Veivirža River, is large: 80 metres long, 57 metres wide on the western side and 40 metres on the eastern side. From the upland side, it is surrounded by a 60-metre-long, 8-metre-high, 20-metre-wide bank on the outer side and protected by two ditches and another bank of up to 2 metres high between them. The eastern edge of the top site also has a bank that’s about 1 metre high and some smaller-scale fortifications on the slope. A concrete monument to mark the decade of Lithuania’s independence and the fifth anniversary of Klaipėda Region's accession to Lithuania, built in 1928, through the effort of Pranas Kučinskas, a local farmer, and renovated during the independence period, stands on the bigger bank. As many as 22 different legends are known about the hillfort, mostly telling stories about all kinds of creatures appearing on it or in its surroundings. The true history surrounding the hillfort has yet to be revealed. Historical sources did not preserve the name of a castle that once stood there, although there is a large old settlement and a cemetery in the area. Various archaeologists carried out excavations on the hillfort several times but only pottery shards have been found so far. Although the Pėžaičiai-Švėkšna gravel road passes along the hillfort, it is more convenient to reach it by turning to the old road that leads right up to the hillfort, which is marked by the sculpture named ‘A Samogitian’, created in 1969 by folk artist Vytautas Majoras (1930–2006).

+2
Reviews